Whilst we are closed during Wales’ lockdown, we bring you recipes to make at home to keep the spirit of Old Havana alive in your heart.
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup white rum
1) Mix the sugar and water together over very low heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves – about 3 minutes. It has to be just low enough so that the sugar doesn’t caramelize, but makes thick sugary water.
2) Put the egg yolks in a blender and mix with the condensed milk.
3) Slowly add the evaporated milk and mix completely.
4) Flavor with the vanilla.
5) Pour the mixture into the sugar-water and mix together.
6) Finally stir in the rum (as a preservative).
Makes about 5 cups, or fills two and a half bottles.
Recipe by Marta: