What could be a better way to treat yourself than tucking into a luscious, creamy, flavourful baked custard flan dripping in caramel? That is the beauty of a Cuban flan (Flan Cubano), with its heavenly custardy texture and ideal as a dessert or on its own with a lovely cup of coffee.
As always there are many variations and recipes for such popular creations, and we have chosen one to bring to you, plus a video to show you the flan being made at home.
This dessert is ordinarily cooked in a Flanera, a lidded dish for this purpose and readily available, but it can also be made in a pie dish or other round cooking dish, as long as it can be covered either with a lid or snuggly covered in cooking foil.
We hope you enjoy making and tasting this indulgent and luxurious dessert and please let us know how you get along.
- 1 14 oz Can of Sweetened Condensed milk
- 3 whole eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- Cinnamon pinch
- a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of Whole Fat Milk
- 1 Cup of sugar for caramel glaze
- Preheat oven to 180°C 160°C (fan oven)
1.Begin by caramelizing the pan – add the sugar over a low to medium stove and mix until it liquefies and is golden brown in colour. Make sure and coat the bottom of the pan and sides with the sugar glaze. The caramel can be made as here in the flan pan, or in a separate saucepan and poured into the cooking dish.
2.Mix the milk, and rest of the ingredients in a food processor
3.Pour into the pan over the caramel.
4. Cook at 180° 160° (fan oven) for 1hr 25 in a bain-marie (in a water bath)
5. Let it cool completely and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours- overnight.
6. Cut around the edges to free the flan and flip over onto a serving plate